Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Imelda

     Yesterday was a girls day. I went with my mother, aunt, and sister, oh and we dragged the two year old nephew too, shopping out of town. We squeezed in my tiny car and headed south almost an hour in hopes of a better selection of shoes and food. (If you don't know me, they call me Imelda. I. Love. Shoes.) We spent the majority of the day walking around shopping our money away and eating to our hearts content.  About half way through my mother and I both started to slow down, she has Lupus as well as Fibro, be we hung in there till the end. Chasing after a two year old was the joy of my day. He is the cutest thing. He loves girls already. Every time he saw one he'd ignore everyone and just stare. I'd ask if he thought they were pretty. He would quickly respond "uh-huh." Oh, it's so cute to see him finally talking. At Applebees I kept him entertained most of the time with me making faces and him trying to mimic them. Two year olds can't cross their eyes as easily. And when in doubt, I fed him Nana's M&M's. Chocolate fixes everything!
    Today? Oh, boy. I hurt. I can see my mom hide her grimaces, though she is way tougher than any human being alive and can take any amount of pain. We have matching limps, which might sound endearing, but it's not. The point of this blog though, is to tell you, it's worth it. Despite the pain, flares, and repercussions hearing him laugh, seeing him talk, being an aunt, getting some cute things, being a teenager, being a daughter, a sister, a fighter, it's all worth it. Despite how healthy and good you feel, it's nothing without a life. I'm not saying ignore your symptoms! You still need to pace. But at some point, when pacing means no social life, it is worth some aches and pains.
Yesterdays perks
1. A really cute teaching purse/briefcase
2. Three pairs of shoes, all teaching approved
3. Good food
4. Family time
5. Memories that will last me a life time, that overpower the feelings and memories of pain.

2 comments:

  1. This post was so inspirational and positive. I love you so much! You find the good in the situations healthy people would inconvenient and extremely painful. You're amazing. You truly are a fighter, a trooper, and my hero. I love you.
    -Alex

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad you had fun! You deserved it and so did mom. If we can't hang out tonight, I completely understand. As fun as I'm sure it was, I'm sure it was also completely draining. So if you need to rest, do it. We'll hang another time. I'm glad you're home :)

    ReplyDelete