Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Nutrition

So as I always seem to mention, I'm on a mission to treat my symptoms in ways without popping me with pills, because I've tried that and it didn't work. I had an appointment with a nutritionist today first off to become over all healthier, and second to try to help my "chronic nausea". It was a wonderful appointment. She was very nice. I started by telling her why I was seeing her and what I wanted out of it, then she asked me a whole bunch of questions about what I eat, what food is in my dorm room, what I drink and so on. I learned some interesting facts. I've never considered myself healthy, and with my co-morbidity of a thyroid disorder I've always struggled with things related to diet. Even with my medicines for thyroid stabilizing my numbers, thyroid can still affect how you digest food, hunger, things like that. I don't know a lot about thyroid, I just now I've had it messed up for a long time.
So here are somethings I learned or ideas I got.
  • Drinks: cutting pop is an no brainer, with all the sugar. I've known I need to drink more water, but one thing she also suggested is iced tea. This could help my nausea by eliminating the carbonation. She also said something interesting, don't use a straw. When drinking using a stray you inhale air as well which upsets your stomach. I did not know this and I almost always drink out of a straw! Also stay away from juices, it doesn't help enough to out weigh the cons.
  • I need to get back on my multi-vitamin, another no brainer. Another thing she suggested is Valerian Root. Although used mainly for sleep it can also help with digestion. She also stated the papaya pills I was taking couldn't hurt and thought it was a good idea. It is also a dietary supplement, but it has enzymes in it which help balance the acids in your stomach. She also suggested just getting a roll or Tums or Rolaids and try taking one three times a day to see if it helps.
  • Foods: with my nausea I very rarely feel like eating breakfast! After hearing some of the foods I like to eat she suggested trying to get down a low fat string cheese stick and maybe even peanut butter and (whole-grain if desired) crackers like you get from the gas station. For lunch turkey wraps are good, but when I am short on money or time even at Wendey's switching the cheeseburger to a grilled chicken sandwich, and instead of fries sticking to my baked potato, only use the light sour cream and not the butter. When eating burgers staying away from mayonnaise, sliced cheese alone is 100 calories, and other unexpected fat adders such as bacon, mushrooms, and other gross things you can get. 
  • Last with food is trying to get as many fruits and veggies as possible, which I love all fruits and veggies, so that isn't that bad. She also said try to stick to things filled with water such as chicken noodle soup, or broth like soups. Many studies prove we eat the same quantity of food each day. So if we fill that with water we don't eat as many calories.
She also mentioned that as a student check ups are only $5. She gave me a pocket book that has all the foods in it, what you should eat, and a recorder to keep track of everything. She has people who come back every two weeks and she'll go through their log with them and help them. So it's a personal diet trainer for only $10 a month. Getting healthy and hopefully getting a better immune system, seems like a small price to pay. She also had great suggestions like checking out our work out center for water aerobics or something in the water so I could exercise improving my immune system without putting stress on my joints or body. She was very helpful. I suggest anyone who is struggling with food, chronic illness, or just wants to get healthier make an appointment. Just one can really help. I finally felt a medical personal actually sat down and tried to help me as an individual and as a whole person! That is an amazing feeling.
Hope you liked today's blog and learned something new!
Callie

4 comments:

  1. Is the appointment $5 without insurance, or with? And where is that? In Goddard?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello! I think it's $15 for the first one, and about $5 after that. It's included in our fees at Goddard. Just go to the front dest and make an appointment. It charges to your bursar if you like. If your insurance covers Goddard you can look into it covering the $5 if you like.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh okay. Wow I'm surprised a Goddard doctor was that helpful! My experiences there have been way less than my expectations for a doctor.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I kind of wonder what she would say for me since I really need to gain weight. I've always thought of it as a good idea to go see a nutritionist, but haven't had the time to really get out and see one. But I see at least 3 things that apply to me as well (less pop/more water, more veggies/fruits, eating breakfast). I used to be on a multi-vitamin, but another doctor told me not to take it because he thought it was making me feel sick. So I don't know about that one, but I like this post a lot. It's a good reminder for me that I need to eat more and watch a little more closely what I eat.

    ReplyDelete